With the continued expansion of Bonhams’ motorcar sales around the globe, the auction house has announced that this year it will be hosting its August auction from a new, larger venue on the Quail Lodge grounds in Carmel Valley.
“Having outgrown our existing site at Quail Lodge, were keen to provide better facilities for our clients,” said Mark Osborne, Head of Motoring at Bonhams. “This new location – on the lawns at the western end of the property – has ample plein aire viewing against the backdrop of the stunning wooded highlands. It is much more open and accessible and enables our clients to park at the sale site while providing greater space on preview and auction days, two key aims of our move.”
Now in its 15th year, the Bonhams Sale of Exceptional Collectors’ Cars is the longest standing auction of any on the peninsula, and is regarded as a cornerstone of the Pebble Beach Car Week.
Renowned for their specialty of presenting pedigree racing and sports cars alongside rare hand-built tourers, Bonhams has achieved numerous world-record prices at Quail Lodge, including the standing records for the marques Jaguar, Talbot-Lago, Porsche, Isotta-Fraschini and Lagonda. Furthermore, important collections sold at Quail Lodge include those of Michael L. Amalfitano, Sidney & Jenny Craig, David Uihlein and The Rosso Bianco Collection.
Current world records achieved at Quail Lodge include:
1. 1960 Jaguar E2A Le Mans Sports-Racing Two-Seater Prototype - $4,957,000
2. 1939 Talbot-Lago T150 C SS Coachwork by M. Pourtout, Design by Georges Paulin - $4,847,000
3. 1972-73 Porsche 917 Interserie Spyder née 1970 Gulf-JWA Le Mans 917K Coupe - $3,965,000
4. 1913 Isotta-Fraschini 100-120 hp Tipo KM 4 Four-Seat Torpedo Tourer - $1,492,000
5. 1936 Lagonda LG45R Rapide Sports-Racing Two-Seater - $1,382,000
Bonhams is once again looking to make history and is now accepting consignments of rare and pedigree motorcars of all vintages. Interested sellers may e-mail email@example.com or contact one of the following motorcar experts:
- Mark Osborne, Head of Department, San Francisco: 415-391-4000
- Rupert Banner, VP Business Development, New York: 212-461-6515
The 2012 Bonhams Auction of Exceptional Collectors’ Cars will take place Thursday and Friday, August 16th and 17th at Quail Lodge in Carmel, California.